All kittens sold on Maine Coon Kitten Haven come with a health guarantee. Within 15 days of purchasing your new kitten, you must take him/her to a licensed veterinarian for an examination. If the veterinarian determines, within 15 days of purchasing, that your kitten is clinically ill or has died from an injury sustained or illness likely to have been contracted on or before the date of purchasing and delivery, you have the following options:
– Return the kitten for a complete refund
– Return the kitten for a replacement kitten of equal value
– Retain the kitten and receive reimbursement for reasonable veterinary fees, not exceeding the adoption price
If within 1 year of purchasing, a licensed veterinarian determines that your kitten has a congenital or hereditary defect that adversely affects the kitten’s health or that your kitten died from a congenital or hereditary defect, you have the same option as outlined above. You must notify us of the examining veterinarian’s name, address & phone number within 3 days of the vet’s certification of your kitten’s illness. Failure to notify us within 3 business days will result in forfeiture of rights. By purchasing a kitten from us, you agree to the following:
1. The kitten will be taken to the vet promptly. You should make sure that he/she is healthy and doesn’t need a vet’s attention. We request that this initial visit is within 72 hours of the kitten’s arrival. This is to ensure that there aren’t problems that have arisen from shipping, and also so that your veterinarian is familiar with your kitten if a situation arises.
2. We are not responsible for a kitten’s exposure to diseases after they have left our possession. You should be careful where you take your kitten and who handles it as well. The kitten should not be exposed to previously infested disease areas or to places where a high level of exposure to diseases is possible.
3. Validation of the guarantee requires examination of your kitten by the vet of your choice and at your expense within 15 days of its arrival. This examination is expected to confirm that your kitten was healthy upon arrival. If the kitten is showing any sign of illness, it should be taken to the vet immediately.
4. Your kitten, if shipped, has been through a vet check and has received a health certificate. He/she has been through at least his first shots and usually a series of shots before he/she has been delivered to you. He has also been de-wormed, but this does not mean that he is free of worms because young animals are especially susceptible to worms, are exposed every time they touch the ground, and worming is an ongoing process that will need to be continued once the kitten is in your care. Your kitten will also need to follow up shots. It is very important that you follow up with shots and deworming.
5. If the kitten has a vet diagnosed, congenital or hereditary defect, that is a life-threatening condition, give us a vet signed statement of the defect, and it will be replaced with the first available kitten with the same value as soon as possible.
6. We are is not responsible for any veterinarian bills that the purchaser may incur regarding the purchased kitten.
7. This guarantee is null and void if the kitten is sold to a third party, and if normal precautions aren’t taken.
8. If a kitten is to be replaced, we will provide a healthy kitten of the same quality as the previous kitten as soon as one is available. The new owner will be responsible for all shipping charges for the first kitten to be returned to the breeder and for the charges for the second kitten to be shipped to them as well. If the purchaser chooses not to accept a replacement kitten, then he or she will be refunded the full purchase price.
9. We work closely with our vets to ensure the health of our kittens. They have been administered all of the shots and deworming that are indicated on our shot records. Our shots are administered by the vet recommended immunization program. We will only indicate the shots that your kitten has had. Please be aware that they have had these shots, and continue to administer shots as recommended by your veterinarian. Giving too many immunizations, and ignoring the immunizations that have been given can also be harmful to the kitten’s health.
10. Our kittens will have a health certificate from a licensed veterinarian before they leave, and will be vet checked. Although we do everything we can to ensure the health of our kittens, our health guarantee does not apply to “kennel cough”, coccidia, diarrhea, collapsed trachea, giardia, open fontanel, or parasites.